[OpenIndiana-discuss] Will OpenIndiana switch to SquashFS?

Till Wegmueller toasterson at gmail.com
Sat Jan 9 12:42:25 UTC 2021

Hi

You don't need a writable root filesystem. Especially on a live
environment. SmartOS for exmple is a "Live" environment in that sense
but it's rootfs is completelty read-only so nobodies changes get lost.
IMHO aufs on top of a live system is more of a easy way to brick your
system rather than a help. You want to update the live system with apt
and then boot a new one? You are going to be in a whole lot of trouble then.

And for your USB question, yes with the right tools you can also make
anther partition and store data on it. And you can edit the script that
makes the USB file to already contain an empty partition.

But I don't bother since I reflash the thing mostly anyway. And on next
DD the data get's lots anyway, as we also add a MBR to that image not
just the partition.

-Till