[OpenIndiana-discuss] When will AMD XIII CPUs be supported

Chris oidev at bsdos.info
Fri Jan 22 00:10:40 UTC 2021

On 2021-01-21 13:58, Gary Mills wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 21, 2021 at 12:56:51PM -0800, Chris wrote:
>> Or, why does the 20201031 usb image text install crash
>> on my AMD XIII @3Ghz && 8GB RAM?
>
> What is AMD XIII?  I have three AMD Ryzen systems.  None of them behave
> that way.  This is the one I use most often:
>
>     <mills at qtpie:1309>$ psrinfo -vp
>     The physical processor has 8 cores and 16 virtual processors (0-15)
>         x86 (AuthenticAMD 800F82 family 23 model 8 step 2 clock 3200 MHz)
>           AMD Ryzen 7 2700 Eight-Core Processor
>
>> The install is slow as a dog in graphics or text modes.
>
> That may not be a problem.  After all, you only install once.
>
>> It either bootloops just after
>> zfs0 /pseudo/zfs at 0
>>
>> or it dumps core at the first language choice screen.
>> Any thoughts/suggestions?
>
> That certainly could be a problem.  Did you capture the core file
> or record the traceback?
Thank you *very* much for the reply.
It's an AMD Athlon II X3 @3Ghz w/*Gb RAM
It's on an AM2+ board -- I know. But still...
Anyway. The failures I indicated here turned out to be a bad PSU.
I've since replaced it, and I get to the color Welcome screen.
But, a couple things; the (onboard) Nivdia Gigabit port (nge0)
causes OI all kinds of grief -- loop message regarding ipsec, followed
by dhcpd error(s). Finding that, I simply unplugged it, and shoved
an Atheros WiFi card in it. Restarted the install, and got No disk
drives found. Well, the BIOS finds and confirms it's in good shape.
Will allow me to boot from it. But not OI. Oh it's sata (II). Anyway;
I replace the drive, and boot the OI install. Same problem -- No
drive found.
Sigh...
I'm not here to complain; well maybe a little ;-)
But really. I'd just like to discover *why* the OI install is so
unhappy. Any thoughts || suggestions? It's an Nvidia chipset
(NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE & nForce 430 chipset)
That's about all I think I could add.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond, Gary!

--Chris

--
~10yrs a FreeBSD maintainer of ~160 ports
~40yrs of UNIX