[OpenIndiana-discuss] When will AMD XIII CPUs be supported

Chris oidev at bsdos.info
Fri Jan 22 01:55:12 UTC 2021

On 2021-01-21 16:10, Chris wrote:
> On 2021-01-21 13:58, Gary Mills wrote:
>> On Thu, Jan 21, 2021 at 12:56:51PM -0800, Chris wrote:
>>> Or, why does the 20201031 usb image text install crash
>>> on my AMD XIII @3Ghz && 8GB RAM?
>>
>> What is AMD XIII?  I have three AMD Ryzen systems.  None of them behave
>> that way.  This is the one I use most often:
>>
>>     <mills at qtpie:1309>$ psrinfo -vp
>>     The physical processor has 8 cores and 16 virtual processors (0-15)
>>         x86 (AuthenticAMD 800F82 family 23 model 8 step 2 clock 3200 MHz)
>>           AMD Ryzen 7 2700 Eight-Core Processor
>>
>>> The install is slow as a dog in graphics or text modes.
>>
>> That may not be a problem.  After all, you only install once.
>>
>>> It either bootloops just after
>>> zfs0 /pseudo/zfs at 0
>>>
>>> or it dumps core at the first language choice screen.
>>> Any thoughts/suggestions?
>>
>> That certainly could be a problem.  Did you capture the core file
>> or record the traceback?
> Thank you *very* much for the reply.
> It's an AMD Athlon II X3 @3Ghz w/8Gb RAM
> It's on an AM2+ board -- I know. But still...
> Anyway. The failures I indicated here turned out to be a bad PSU.
> I've since replaced it, and I get to the color Welcome screen.
> But, a couple things; the (onboard) Nivdia Gigabit port (nge0)
> causes OI all kinds of grief -- loop message regarding ipsec, followed
> by dhcpd error(s). Finding that, I simply unplugged it, and shoved
> an Atheros WiFi card in it. Restarted the install, and got No disk
> drives found. Well, the BIOS finds and confirms it's in good shape.
> Will allow me to boot from it. But not OI. Oh it's sata (II). Anyway;
> I replace the drive, and boot the OI install. Same problem -- No
> drive found.
> Sigh...
> I'm not here to complain; well maybe a little ;-)
> But really. I'd just like to discover *why* the OI install is so
> unhappy. Any thoughts || suggestions? It's an Nvidia chipset
> (NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE & nForce 430 chipset)
> That's about all I think I could add.
>
> Thanks again for taking the time to respond, Gary!
>
> --Chris
Well I found a drive that had OI (illuminos-dde7ba523f) installed
on an old AMD 2 core sempron and plugged it in. It booted it, and
apparently re-configured itself to the (current) hardware.
I just wish I could perform an OI *install* to this. It's clear
that the hardware is supported. I even tried the text || gui install
images that installed what's now running on it. Confusing.

--Chris

--
~10yrs a FreeBSD maintainer of ~160 ports
~40yrs of UNIX