[OpenIndiana-discuss] When will AMD XIII CPUs be supported

Gary Mills gary_mills at fastmail.fm
Fri Jan 22 02:31:18 UTC 2021

On Thu, Jan 21, 2021 at 04:10:40PM -0800, Chris wrote:
> Thank you *very* much for the reply.
> It's an AMD Athlon II X3 @3Ghz w/*Gb RAM
> It's on an AM2+ board -- I know. But still...
> Anyway.

I used to have one of those.

> The failures I indicated here turned out to be a bad PSU.

I've had PSU failures too.

> I've since replaced it, and I get to the color Welcome screen.

I assume that's in the loader, after it's booted the copy of OI
that's on the DVD or USB image.

> But, a couple things; the (onboard) Nivdia Gigabit port (nge0)
> causes OI all kinds of grief -- loop message regarding ipsec, followed
> by dhcpd error(s). Finding that, I simply unplugged it, and shoved
> an Atheros WiFi card in it.

I've had bad luck with nge devices too, but never that bad.

> Restarted the install, and got No disk
> drives found. Well, the BIOS finds and confirms it's in good shape.
> Will allow me to boot from it. But not OI. Oh it's sata (II). Anyway;
> I replace the drive, and boot the OI install. Same problem -- No
> drive found.

That sounds like a missing driver for your disk controller.  It will
be included with the full OI kernel, but perhaps not with the loader.
Selecting AHCI mode in the BIOS for the disk controller may fix the
problem.  I notice when I run:

    $ prtconf -D

on my system, it shows ahci as the disk controller driver.