[OpenIndiana-discuss] When will AMD XIII CPUs be supported

Chris oidev at bsdos.info
Fri Jan 22 09:14:05 UTC 2021

On 2021-01-21 18:31, Gary Mills wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 21, 2021 at 04:10:40PM -0800, Chris wrote:
>> Thank you *very* much for the reply.
>> It's an AMD Athlon II X3 @3Ghz w/*Gb RAM
>> It's on an AM2+ board -- I know. But still...
>> Anyway.
>
> I used to have one of those.
>
>> The failures I indicated here turned out to be a bad PSU.
>
> I've had PSU failures too.
>
>> I've since replaced it, and I get to the color Welcome screen.
>
> I assume that's in the loader, after it's booted the copy of OI
> that's on the DVD or USB image.
>
>> But, a couple things; the (onboard) Nivdia Gigabit port (nge0)
>> causes OI all kinds of grief -- loop message regarding ipsec, followed
>> by dhcpd error(s). Finding that, I simply unplugged it, and shoved
>> an Atheros WiFi card in it.
>
> I've had bad luck with nge devices too, but never that bad.
>
>> Restarted the install, and got No disk
>> drives found. Well, the BIOS finds and confirms it's in good shape.
>> Will allow me to boot from it. But not OI. Oh it's sata (II). Anyway;
>> I replace the drive, and boot the OI install. Same problem -- No
>> drive found.
>
> That sounds like a missing driver for your disk controller.  It will
> be included with the full OI kernel, but perhaps not with the loader.
> Selecting AHCI mode in the BIOS for the disk controller may fix the
> problem.  I notice when I run:
>
>     $ prtconf -D
>
> on my system, it shows ahci as the disk controller driver.

OK here's a nice picture (screenshot) I was able to capture that
pretty well sums it up.

Driver is NOT the problem.
I think the only way I'm going to be able to install OI on this, is
by plugging my sata drive into a USB adapter, and install it there.
Then after installation. Plug the drive back into the sata port on
the MB. I thought OI had better sata support. It clearly understands
the controller.

Well. They say a Picture paints a thousand words:
https://bsdos.info/OI/Screenshot-2021-01-22-00-12-55.png

Any hints || suggestions GREATLY appreciated.

--Chris

--
~10yrs a FreeBSD maintainer of ~160 ports
~40yrs of UNIX