[OpenIndiana-discuss] When will AMD XIII CPUs be supported

Chris oidev at bsdos.info
Fri Jan 22 15:34:35 UTC 2021

On 2021-01-22 01:29, vab at bb-c.de wrote:
> Hi Chris!
>

> Hang in there!  I'm sure we'll get it to work eventually.
>
>> Driver is NOT the problem.
>> I think the only way I'm going to be able to install OI on this, is
>> by plugging my sata drive into a USB adapter, and install it there.
>> Then after installation. Plug the drive back into the sata port on
>> the MB. I thought OI had better sata support. It clearly understands
>> the controller.
>>
>> Well. They say a Picture paints a thousand words:
>> https://bsdos.info/OI/Screenshot-2021-01-22-00-12-55.png
>
> I don't think it's a matter of lacking "better SATA support".  Several
> Sun servers had the nv_sata chip on board (we have an X2200M2 here), and
I'm actually looking at a Sun Ultra27 as we speak. Anyone here have one?

> Solaris and thus illumos-based systems have supported that for a long
> time.  It must be some interaction between the installer and your
> system.
>
> Do test an OmniOS USB installer, just to see if it can find the disks.
Just as a point of fact;
The Windows, *BSD, Linux, Darwin and (hack)intosh installers all find this
drive. OI can't see it unless it's been installed onto it from another
MB. Then I can plug the drive in, and it boots as tho it had just installed
itself from the install media on this MB. Alto it's clear the BIOS pointed
OI to the drive past POST. But still...

So I find this problem *highly* interesting.

> Regards -- Volker
Thank you very much for taking the time to reply.

--Chris

--
~10yrs a FreeBSD maintainer of ~160 ports
~40yrs of UNIX