[OpenIndiana-discuss] How to get a usable console on OI?

Stephan Althaus Stephan.Althaus at Duedinghausen.eu
Mon Jan 25 06:40:23 UTC 2021

On 01/25/21 02:27, Chris wrote:
> I have a recent install where I simply login at the
> console -- no X related stuff. Just the screen.
> Things just seem broken, For example, a simple ls /dev
> takes a full 3 to 4 seconds to fill the screen, and each
> page full is an additional 3 to 4 seconds. This is on a 3
> core AMD CPU @3Ghz && 8Gb RAM on a x16 pcie Nvidia card.
> This seems horribly unreasonable. Simple shell scripts
> that output to the screen take as long or longer to write
> to the screen. It's like the old days logging into a BBS,
> or an anonymous ftp site on an 8086 or 80286.
>
> Thanks for any clues! :-)

Hello!

Yeah i saw this on my 4K screen too :-/

You may try to

#sudo pkg install pkg:/driver/graphics/nvidia

this includes the NVIDIA Kernel Mode Setting Driver for UNIX platforms
mybe this affects the console, too.

It may be required to install some X pkgs,
and If you don't want an X login be sure to disable lightdm service

#sudo svcadm disable lightdm

Greetings,

Stephan