[OpenIndiana-discuss] How to get a usable console on OI?

Chris oidev at bsdos.info
Mon Jan 25 20:36:59 UTC 2021

On 2021-01-24 22:40, Stephan Althaus wrote:
> On 01/25/21 02:27, Chris wrote:
>> I have a recent install where I simply login at the
>> console -- no X related stuff. Just the screen.
>> Things just seem broken, For example, a simple ls /dev
>> takes a full 3 to 4 seconds to fill the screen, and each
>> page full is an additional 3 to 4 seconds. This is on a 3
>> core AMD CPU @3Ghz && 8Gb RAM on a x16 pcie Nvidia card.
>> This seems horribly unreasonable. Simple shell scripts
>> that output to the screen take as long or longer to write
>> to the screen. It's like the old days logging into a BBS,
>> or an anonymous ftp site on an 8086 or 80286.
>>
>> Thanks for any clues! :-)
>>
> Hello!
>
> Yeah i saw this on my 4K screen too :-/
>

> You may try to
>
> #sudo pkg install pkg:/driver/graphics/nvidia
Good call. But I've already got this. In fact, I think it comes
by default as a kernel module.
One thing on the nvidia (graphics) module; It's apparently not
compatible with fastboot:
OIDEV genunix: [ID 884581 kern.warning] WARNING: nvidia has no quiesce()

> this includes the NVIDIA Kernel Mode Setting Driver for UNIX platforms
> mybe this affects the console, too.
>
> It may be required to install some X pkgs,
> and If you don't want an X login be sure to disable lightdm service
>
> #sudo svcadm disable lightdm
Not (currently) using X(org) related things. So the services associated
with X are disabled. :-)

Thanks, Stephan!

--Chris

--
~10yrs a FreeBSD maintainer of ~160 ports
~40yrs of UNIX