[OpenIndiana-discuss] GParted crashed

Hung Nguyen Gia gh_origin at zohomail.com
Tue Jan 26 07:49:04 UTC 2021

GParted crashed immediately when being started on a live usb system and core dumped.

I could sure the core file is of gparted since sudo file core reported it's of 'gpartedbin'

Trying running from terminal with sudo gparted Segmentation fault immediately.

Don't ask me to upload the core file to you. The feeling of mine when this happened is... if I could smash the monitor, I would.

Jim, I said with you I don't want to be spoonfed. But please spoonfed me this time, just this time, please. I don't want to deal with the horrible format command.

format -e indeed showed the usb stick. But I have no idea how to accomplish my goal.

The live usb image is 1.9G in size and my stick is 16G in size.

I want to fix the partition table, so it fully recognize my usb as 16G and I want to resize the root partition (slice 2) to extend it to fill the remaining space.

Without fixing the partition table, format doesn't see the device's size as 16G but just 1.9G.

Of course, I could fix the partition table from GParted on Linux, but I don't know if it would caused any corruption because of the incompatibility between the two systems.

I know how to use format the most basic way, mainly to prepare the disk to install Tribblix to UFS and setup the swap partition.

I have no deeper experience with it so far.

Researching requires me to read the Oracle manual, which IMHO is always long and boring to read compared to what of Linux and FreeBSD.

This time I tried to type format after selected my usb stick and guess what? My live system hung immediately and I have to cold reset it to boot back to Linux. Please help.