[OpenIndiana-discuss] How to expand the live usb to use all of the space on the device? v2

Chris oidev at bsdos.info
Tue Jan 26 01:31:54 UTC 2021

On 2021-01-25 17:18, Hung Nguyen Gia via openindiana-discuss wrote:
> v1 is failed because no one could give a solution.
>
> https://openindiana.org/pipermail/openindiana-discuss/2021-January/023341.html
>
> So I start v2.
>
> As I said here:
> https://openindiana.org/pipermail/openindiana-discuss/2021-January/023555.html
>
> I only left with fdisk. And my guess was right, it's not work.
>
> The ONLY thing it showed me is a EFI partition with Length is 250, no other
> partitions to expand, no actual partition that contain the distro's data.
>
> The Solaris fdisk is extremely limited compared to Linux fdisk or even
> FreeBSD, to be fair!
>
> I don't know your partitioning scheme on your live usb.
>
> Please explain and give me DETAIL answer, not kind of DIY answers I
> previously
> received on v1.
>
> If my guess is not wrong, then:
>
> You just have an EFI partition in order to boot.
>
> Then you just dd-ed your iso image into the unallocated space and let your
> boot
> loader mount it during boot.
>
> This is the reason why fdisk only shows just one EFI partition and nothing
> else.
> Does it true?
>
> I saw no UFS partition, no writable file systems at all to be fair. On
> Linux,
> Gparted only display a bunch of black and very small partitions:
> https://imgur.com/FmcrVMF.png
>
> If there was an UFS file system, Linux could mount it automatically, auto
> mount is
> turned on on all Linux nowadays, albeit just read-only for UFS. But, I saw
> nothing.
Well. I'm pretty sure the gpartd on the live OI disk can see (OI) UFS
partition.
The thing is. The partitions that are available for the LIVE install are
memory
disks; that is; (compressed) images on the (.usb|.iso) and are unpacked into
memory. So that no disks are touched until *install* is chosen. I know for
sure
how FreeBSD does it. I do it all the time. But I'll need to have a look at
the
OI live installs. I'll take a look, and see if I can give you a recipe to
accomplish what you want/need. :-)

--Chris

--
~10yrs a FreeBSD maintainer of ~160 ports
~40yrs of UNIX