[OpenIndiana-discuss] Does OI compress the zpool by default?

Peter Tribble peter.tribble at gmail.com
Tue Mar 2 18:55:20 UTC 2021

On Tue, Mar 2, 2021 at 4:16 PM Chris <oidev at sunos.info> wrote:

> On 2021-02-28 07:38, cretin1997 via openindiana-discuss wrote:
> > zfs get compression and zfs get compressratio results seemed to tell
> that
> > it's not
> > on by default. But, why?
> The reason is or should be, because of its potential cost. That is;
> compression can consume a great deal more CPU cycles.

ZFS compression is a good thing. You win by having to move less data
through the
entire I/O stack.

Originally, compression was off by default because 15 years ago there were
still
incredibly slow systems still being used. Worse, zfs compression was
single-threaded,
which was a bit of a nightmare on something like the old coolthreads boxes.
Neither
are true any more. Over the years, CPU capacity has increased much faster
than I/O
performance, and we have better algorithms - and better optimized code - to
play with.

--
-Peter Tribble