[OpenIndiana-discuss] Which OI service cleans up hidden NFS files?

Judah Richardson judahrichardson at gmail.com
Tue May 4 23:15:31 UTC 2021

On Tue, May 4, 2021 at 5:53 PM Alan Coopersmith <alan.coopersmith at oracle.com>
wrote:

> On 5/4/21 3:38 PM, Judah Richardson wrote:
> > I did some searching about the error message and found this Solaris
> > documentation page
> > <https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E37838_01/html/E61004/gqmry.html> about
> > removing hidden NFS files. It says that the above error is due to
> something
> > called nfsfind, but that nfsfind should be superseded by a service called
> > svc:/network/nfs/cleanup.
>
> It also says that the nfs cleanup service was added in Solaris 11.4, which
> is
> much newer than the pre-Solaris-11.0 base that OpenIndiana/illumos is
> based on.

Good point. I'm often not sure how closely OI tracks Solaris in one thing
or the other, which is why I ask questions.

> Don't you still have the nfsfind command in your root crontab?
>

> https://github.com/illumos/illumos-gate/blob/9ecd05bdc59e4a1091c51ce68cce2028d5ba6fd1/usr/src/cmd/Adm/root#L30

Yes I do.

I think I found the problem, but I can't explain why it's happening. The
directories in question are mounted:

$ mount | grep znapzend
/znapzend on rpool1/znapzend
read/write/setuid/devices/nonbmand/exec/xattr/atime/dev=4c10008 on Fri Apr
/znapzend/DellOptiPlex390MT on rpool1/znapzend/DellOptiPlex390MT
read/write/setuid/devices/nonbmand/exec/xattr/atime/dev=4c10034 on Sat May
/znapzend/DellOptiPlex390MT/ROOT on rpool1/znapzend/DellOptiPlex390MT/ROOT
read/write/setuid/devices/nonbmand/exec/xattr/atime/dev=4c1003a on Sat May
/znapzend/DellOptiPlex390MT/ROOT/openindiana on
rpool1/znapzend/DellOptiPlex390MT/ROOT/openindiana
read/write/setuid/devices/nonbmand/exec/xattr/atime/dev=4c1003c on Sat May
/znapzend/DellOptiPlex390MT/export on
rpool1/znapzend/DellOptiPlex390MT/export
read/write/setuid/devices/nonbmand/exec/xattr/atime/dev=4c1003d on Sat May
/znapzend/DellOptiPlex390MT/export/home on
rpool1/znapzend/DellOptiPlex390MT/export/home
read/write/setuid/devices/nonbmand/exec/xattr/atime/dev=4c10040 on Sat May
/znapzend/DellOptiPlex390MT/export/home/judah on
rpool1/znapzend/DellOptiPlex390MT/export/home/judah
read/write/setuid/devices/nonbmand/exec/xattr/atime/dev=4c10042 on Sat May

But I can't navigate to them, and so neither can the find $dir -type f
-name .nfs command in the nfsfind script:

$ cd /znapzend/DellOptiPlex390MT/ROOT/openindiana
-bash: cd: /znapzend/DellOptiPlex390MT/ROOT/openindiana: No such file or
directory

# find /znapzend/DellOptiPlex390MT/ROOT/openindiana -type f -name .nfs
find: ‘/znapzend/DellOptiPlex390MT/ROOT/openindiana’: No such file or
directory

I'm reasonably sure there's something obvious here I'm missing.

Is it possible that znapzend makes destination filesystems unreachable to
prevent them from being tampered with? What would I check for to see if
this is the case?