[OpenIndiana-discuss] read/write hard drive parameters

Tony Brian Albers tba at kb.dk
Wed May 12 06:14:02 UTC 2021

On Wed, 2021-05-12 at 06:43 +0100, Michelle wrote:
> I'm having awful luck with WD 8Tb red drives.
>
> Mirror configuration, ZFS is failing the drives on sustained writes.
> RAIDZ seems to be more forgiving.
>
> I've sent one drive back and have two more under RMA, but so far my
> crude testing seems to indicate that this is a configuration issue
> generic to the model, rather than an out and out faulty drive.
>
> Someone else said (not on here) has said they had to tweek the write
> timeouts on the drives to stop them erroring.
>
> So the trick is... how do I address the drive parameters under
> OpenIndiana please? Does anyone have a link to a how-to please?
>
> Michelle.

Seems like this danish carpenter(!) knows what the issue is:
https://ronn-bundgaard.dk/blog/freenas-zfs-does-not-like-the-new-wd-red-smr-drives/

This might be of some value:
https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/447318/how-to-force-omnios-illumos-format-properly-recognize-disk-geometry

And here are mentioned some mitigation techniques:
https://www.truenas.com/community/threads/update-wd-red-smr-drive-compatibility-with-zfs.88413/

HTH

/tony  (who is also danish, and a combat engineer/sapper)

--
Tony Albers - Systems Architect - IT Development Royal Danish Library,
Victor Albecks Vej 1, 8000 Aarhus C, Denmark