[OpenIndiana-discuss] Any reasons tree /export/home/USERS shouldn't be moved to a different pool

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Thu Jan 13 14:40:36 UTC 2022

On Wed, 12 Jan 2022, hput via openindiana-discuss wrote:

> Are there any reasons the hierarchy /export/home/USERS should not be
> moved to a different pool?  I can think of a few reasons why /root
> should be on rpool.  But USER homes are kind of likely to, over time,
> accumulate quite a lot of data might and eventually squeeze rpool.

It is best if any data not related to the operation of the operating
system be put in different pools (ideally on totally separate disks!)
if possible.  This includes most home directories.  Make sure to have
a failsafe account for emergency system administration.

For my purposes, I create a pool for each user account and use the
automounter to mount the user home directory in the normal places
(locally and via NFS).

By creating a pool for each user account, then snapshots, quotas, and
sends to other pools can be discretely controlled.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn
Public Key,     http://www.simplesystems.org/users/bfriesen/public-key.txt