[OpenIndiana-discuss] Problems with some zfs fs unable to mount after shutdown

hput hputn3 at zohomail.com
Thu Jan 13 14:54:06 UTC 2022

I've wanted to put the home directories on a different pool than
rpool.

Ok. So, resynced the content of rpool/export/USER to directory
/was-USER Did not create a another zfs fs just put the content at the
new directory at /was-USER

Now since the content of /export/home/USER is superfluos I did

zfs destroy -r rpool/export/home/USER
zfs destroy -r rpool/export/home
zfs destroy -r rpool/export

And followed up with rm -rf export/home/USER
rmdir /export/home
rmdir /export

Now I create:

zfs create -omountpoint=/export            p0/export
zfs create -omountpoint=/export/home       p0/export/home
zfs create -omountpoint=/export/home/USER  p0/export/home/USER

Each one mounted itself as it was created.  I then rsynced /was-USER
content back in place /export/home/reader/  But thought I meet keep
the backup a while

as I continued to work on other stuff that setup seemed to be working.
But, when I shut it down and on reboot it could now mount
p0/export/home/ or p0/export/home/USER  claiming that the directories
were not empty

ls and sure enough if you looked in /export/home  your would see USER
too.

So I thought I must be doing something I shouldn't at the point of
creating the mountpoints.

I logged into the console and tried mounting them from the bottom up
and it seemed to go as expected.

Not sure what all I did from there but at present still in console
I can see those diretories seemingly mounted

And mount|grep export
says: mount|grep export
/export/home on p0/export/home read/write/setuid/devices/nonbmand/exec\
xattr.atime/dev=4c5000b on Jan 13 13:51:57 2022

I can't copy/paste from that console so hand written may be errors but
small images included below