[OpenIndiana-discuss] Browsing QNAP windows shares

russell stream at willows7.myzen.co.uk
Thu Mar 24 09:53:47 UTC 2022

Hi

I have a Qnap NAS and configured NFS which is working fine when mounting
on my OI desktop.
However I do have a major problem when attempting to browse the Qnap via
Network -> Windows Network

When I configure on the Qnap

Enable WINS
Local Master Browser
Enable WS-Discovery to help SMB Clients
      Highest SMB version -> SMB 3
      Lowest SMB version  -> SMB 1

Restrict anonymous users from accessing SMB shared folders -> Disabled

Then it is possible to access the Qnap NAS with smb://nas and see all
the shared folders with password access required to access a folder. I
can also get a password prompt by using smb://nas/russell. A Linuxmint
virtual machine can also access the Qnap NAS in the same way but it like
OI can not browse to the NAS.

When I change the Lowest SMB version to SMB 2, the OI can access the
Qnap using smb://nas or smb://nas/russell while Linuxmint can not access
smb://nas but can when smb://nas/russell is used.

Similarly increasing the Lowest SMB version to SM2.1 and finally SMB 3
will produce similar results in that OI can not access the NAS but the
Linuxmint virtual machine is able to access it when smb://nas/russell is
used.

Assuming that same Samba code is being used on OI and Linuxmint, do the
OI defaults need to be adjusted?

Best Regards

Russell