[OpenIndiana-discuss] pkg update removes installed services ?!?

Tim Mooney Tim.Mooney at ndsu.edu
Wed Jun 7 06:47:56 UTC 2023

In regard to: [OpenIndiana-discuss] pkg update removes installed services...:

> How am I supposed to proceed to update the OS to the latest available,
> while at the same time maintaining all the working services intact ?

Postgresql 10 was end-of-life November 10, 2022.

Newer versions of postgres have been part of OI for a while.  Upgrading
your postgres-10 install to something like postgres-14 while both were
provided by the OS would probably have been the easiest path.

You can see what an update is going to do without doing it using the '-nv'
flag with update.  I usually look through that output before actually
applying an update.

You can 'freeze' (see pkg(1)) a package at a specific version, if that
specific version is critical to your install and you're worried an update
might take it out.  Note that doing that may prevent updates without other
steps being taken.

You may want to go back to your previous boot environment (see beadm(8))
and plan an upgrade to a newer postgresql within that boot environment.
Then, once you've converted to a newer postgresql series, you should be
able to safely update.

Rolling releases and a very small contributor pool means that there's
no good way to do long-term support for outdated/EOL software, especially
when there are newer versions that are still receiving updates.

Tim
Enterprise Computing & Infrastructure /
Division of Information Technology    /                701-231-1076 (Voice)