[OpenIndiana-discuss] NUC boot

Stephan Althaus Stephan.Althaus at Duedinghausen.eu
Sun Nov 5 12:25:54 UTC 2023

On 11/5/23 12:41, James wrote:
> On 31/10/2023 09:38, Toomas Soome wrote:
>
> Good morning,
>
>> Could you try this image:
>> http://84.50.115.54/OI-hipster-gui-20231027.usb
>
> It gets past the previous hurdle.  Thank you for whatever tweak this
> involved.
>
> Now the "however".  It fails to open a graphical login screen. Does
> this mean it is without graphics at all?  Would a text install and
> then "pkg install mate_install" make any difference?
>
> This is not my machine and if this never works it is not a tragedy but
> solving this now could help others in future.
>
> My apologies for using screen pictures.  "tip hardwire" is my preference.
>

> James.

Hello!

In my experience, in most of the cases that lightdm is not working its
because the X is not starting. Maybe the VESA doesn't work. Is there an
/var/log/Xorg.0.log ?

You could try a text-install and look at the X problem then again on the
installed basic system..

OI lacks drivers for the latest Intel chipsets, but VESA should work.
NVIDIA is best, if there is a PCI socket you could insert an old NVIDIA
card (NVS 310 or NVS 295 are small passive ones for a few bucks)

Regards,

Stephan